Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thursday on the Island of Padre


Our trip down here was really nice, peaceful and uneventful. Until we arrived at this Isla Blanca campground. The girl who "waited on us" (certainly not the term I'd use for how we were treated) assigned us a site and basically excused us. No directions as to how to get to our site, no enjoy your stay comment, no help. And to get here is not an easy task. The cg office is located
about 5 -6 blocks from where you enter the actual campsites and it has a gate with guard. Anyway we get inside this huge (I'm saying huge) campground, 731 or so sites. Finally locate the site we have been assigned and it is small (I'm saying tiny small). She never asked how big our camper was or how many slides we have.


We don't fit. OK, we would fit but could not get in the camper once we were parked. There's a huge motorhome on one side of the site, also with slides out and another Mountaineer on the other side. It would have been kinda neat to park next to our double, but we wouldn't fit. I forgot to say that she told us to come into the site from the wrong end. So, we had to turn this rig around and try to fit by going in the proper way. Nope not gonna fit. So back to the girl at the desk. Now, we're getting a bit riled. She not so politely tells us that #1. There are no more 50 amp sites left. She gave the last one to the gentleman who just walked out. (that was a nice touch don't you think?) #2. All the sites are the same size and #3. Do we want our money back. cause #4. This is all she has to offer. A somewhat longer and more fretful conversation insues and we are able to obtain the #'s of the sites that she has left. We drive the 6-7 blocks again, thru the locked gate and around this full camp and locate a site that will work.


Today I will take pictures of the first site and the site that we ended up with. Such a hassle after driving for 4 hours this is just what we both needed. To say that we were both rather testy is an understatement at best.


The travel down here was nice the scenery is so different down here as you travel. Here's what most 0f our trip consisted of: a few longhorns along the roadside. With minimal traffic. We did stop once to let Rocky outside and sniff the area and give his dog approval.


See the cap on the dash? That's supposed to cover up all my bad hair days. I can tell you that it's not working cause I'm just not a hat person. It makes me look like I've got bad hair, wearing a cap that looks equally bad. I see so many others wearing ball caps and they look cute. Not on my head. .....


So once we get down here to the area of the bridge we both do a "WOW" when we see the scope of this bridge. My picture doesn't do it justice. It is huge and goes up real high to allow the ships passage and then has a big curve after that. It is a work of art. And we were so surprised at the size of the buildings on the island. It's a real tourist spot and today we plan to check it our further. And also we want to look up some of our Montana pals that are in this campground.


I should also tell you that this campground does not have wi-fi, so my postings may not be daily. Or as newsy. ha. But, I'm sure you enjoyed my ranting......unfortunately it was OUR day yesterday. Today is a new day and will be a great one. It's sunny and warm.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Ohio, United States
Retired and lovin it!