Sunday, February 12, 2012

Crawdads, crawfish rice and buffalo

Sunday go for a ride day!  First time Rocky and I have been off the reservation since we arrived over a week ago.  So we were up for this ride around the area.  But before we get to that I want to show you a picture of Bob Adams horse.  Remember Bob?  Met him at the laundry and chatted.  I'm sure by now he thinks I'm a confirmed stalker cause when Scott was here we rode around the barn and arena and saw where he had his trailer parked and he was there with Dandy, his mare.  She is really a pretty girl
And someday when she is more experienced at the barrels I'm sure she'll be worth alot of money.  But the most amazing thing was when I noticed Bob's license plates.  He's an Illini!  Yep from Illinois-I was choked up for a minute. We had a connection. ha  Carbondale, Illinois is where he lives.  And he drives all the way down here to Kinder,LA to show and race his horse.  Small world. We chatted with him for a bit and found out that he will be racing again this afternoon (Sunday) but I doubt I will be going to watch that one.  I am beginning to feel like the stalker that I promised him I was not.
We also sat for a few minutes in the arena where they were selling horses.  Yep, they raced these horses, get a good time and then sell.  And it paid off for some I'm sure.  Here is what we saw- you can hear Scott and I in the background saying WOW.


 
Took forever to upload video so I quit.  Need to check further on this process.


The auctioneer ended up getting $9000 for this horse.  His final comment was something like "Give me 9 and we will end this right now."  And so she did and he did.  Sold for 9 biggies. $9000.00 Which is probably not all that much for a good barrel horse.

So today we went for our Sunday drive cause we like being Sunday Driver and riders.  Started with no particular plan or destination in mind. 
We found they grow rice and crawfish  up here, too.

The red things that you see sticking up are the traps.  They empty the crawfish out of the trap; fill the trap with dog food and drop it back in the water all the while they are moving along in their airboat.  A pretty unique way of maintaining the crawfish population and supplying the area in rice at the same time.  I watched a Utube video on this process so that's how I know the process they perform.  Here's the actual rice plants-



Oh, here's some laundry hanging on the clothesfence.  Pretty ingenious, eh?  No room in the yard for a real clothesline so let's use the fence.  It probably works tho I wonder what kind of kinks you would get in that underwear. Kinky.

We found the real deal in Indian reservations.  It's the Coushatta Indian Reservation.  Many new buildings with beautiful landscaping.  And.....this guy

three of these buffalo grazing in the pasture at the reservation.  They were curious as to why I was snapping their picture.

The Coushatta Indians weave baskets out of long needle pines. Hope they have some for sale in the Casino as I'd really like to see one. Sound really neat and look neat from the pictures I've seen online.


Forgot to mention that earlier in our travel today we stopped for a snack.  Decided to try a Dr. Pepper,
10-2-4 (what does that 10-2-4 stand for anyway?) and a few Little Debbie's.  So that gave us our sugar and chocolate fix for the rest of our adventure.


Wondering if this video (above) will finish uploading.  I have another one that I want to post but since we are leaving on Tuesday don't know that I have the time available to wait for another one to load.  So, I'll wait and post it on another day.  Here's a hint tho-"American Pickers".  History channel.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Ohio, United States
Retired and lovin it!