Sunday, February 26, 2012

French Quarter, Mardi Pardi, Frogmor Stew

Wow such a fun day at New Orleans with this crew. We took a carraige ride thru the area and got some of the pertinent information from a hunk of a driver with his mule.  That driver was a former (not retired) Bronx social studies teacher.  He was so informative but talked so fast it was kinda difficult for all of us to understand him.  One of our group, actually Norma from New York originally, made the comment-"I can't hear as fast as you are talking".   Think about it.  Peter thought that comment was worth repeating. 





                                                                                    
The carriage ride thru the streets were/are narrow but beautiful cause they are so full of character.  One of the guys in our group walks with a cane and has a difficult time with walking or standing for long periods of time.  So the guys mostly just sat outside the Magnolia Cafe where we lunched together. 

               Peter ^ has a ponytail, too. 
We had a wonderful day even tho it was windy, very windy and cool.  Better than hot and sunny I guess.  Here's the men

Our driver is on the left, my driver left rear, white hat guy is Roy from Nashville and the bearded earringed dude is the sailor who spent 8 years on a sailboat, Naked Jim.  That is a whole other story!!!  But such a fun group. And for those of you who are not immediate family that received these pictures via email-


Believe me if I had it to do over again I would not NOT get a red hat.  I don't like what that brings to mind.  (Red Hat ladies)  You can tell that we had fun-why else would I be wearing a hat!  Ok, so maybe the two Bloody Mary's had something to do with it. Geesh.  Then I had to buy red earrings. Sorry Shari, they made me do it!  So that was our trip in a small nutshell.   Driver and I may go back again so that he can see more of it.  Worth the trip.





Then last night we did Frogmore Stew. It's not a recipe it's an occasion. And believe me no frogs were injured!  Or involved.  Or invited.

We got out the big pot and our new two burner stove and Roy (former bar bq competitor and winner) filled it up.  With sausage, potatoes, corn on the cob, onions and garlic and boiled it with crawfish boil seasoning.  And trust me when I say it was delishiousness times 10.  After you cook this to the point of the potatoes being done you add fresh raw shrimp.  Cook just until the shrimp are done and pour out the liquid and dump the remains on the table and eat up. 
The newspaper absorbs any moisture left and the idea is to just eat it off the paper-without benefit of plates or forks.  Then when you are all done-roll up the newspaper and shrimp tails and the dishes are done!  waalaaa.  At our next campout this will be the main feature for sure.  It doesn't get any easier than that and it is good. 
Here's Rocky and Rico.  Folks could not believe that Rocky would let that little French dwarf chew on him and then nip at him over and over and never protest. Apparently they didn't realize how truly laid back and lazy Rocky is.  They both liked the peanuts, tho Rico would only eat them if fed out of someones hand.  Even  the Taste of the Wild Salmon that he tried of Rocky's.  He's French what can I say?
Rocky is some kind of a celeb here.  Apparently they've never seen an English Lab and are amazed at his attitude (or lack of) and laid back nature.  They are all in love with him (especially Rico if you get what I mean) and they think he's just a wonderfully handsome guy. 

And I can just imagine #2 son rolling his eyes and shaking his head right now.  But that's the facts, man.  I can't help it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Ohio, United States
Retired and lovin it!