Friday, February 17, 2012

The Katrina devastation continues

We traveled up the coastline this morning to Gulfport, MS.  Nice drive along the coast as you can see the actual Gulf and not between houses, either.  It's all open on Rt. 90 and quite a nice leisurely drive.  As soon as the weather permits and the rain stops we will go to the beach.  And I am anxious to be on the white sand again.  And it's all manicured white sand.  That's the pretty part of our ride.

This is the sad and depressing part.
A site of one of the thousands of homesites that are now empty and devoid of life except for weeds, vacated electric poles, and trash. Seeing these sites on television during Katrina tv coverage was bad enough. We all felt so helpless and wanting to do what we could do for the folks who lost everything. But
when  you are faced with this on a regular basis and can see first hand what nature dealt to these people, it's devastation is just too much to consider.  We saw many of these empty spaces -some with For Sale signs on the lot and some just abadoned. Then you have to wonder how could these people who have just lost everything,and sometimes family as well,  just simply throw up their arms and walk away.  And then I wonder where are they now?  Did insurance cover any of this loss?  Could insurance for hurricanes even be purchased down here?  To realize that this devastating situation covered so many states and that I've not been exposed to any of it when the size of the entire area impacted is considered.




There is construction still being done here, residential and commercial sites as well.  Some have decided to rebuild on the exact same lot and try their luck again.  I don't know that I could/would have the chutspa to do that and subject myself to the possibility of it all happening again. 

I went out this morning with the hope of finding a great seafood restaurant for lunch; alas none were found. I will have to ask here at the campground for recommendations.  So much of this area is under construction including roads, so hopefully we will be able to find one that is perhaps just not on the coastline. 

Now time for some fun. I'm heading to the laundromat.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Ohio, United States
Retired and lovin it!